Tippett Studio is a unique, Academy Award winning, full service visual effects company that specializes in CG character animation for movies and television commercials. Founded in 1984 by Phil Tippett, the Studio is located in Berkeley, California.
We are currently seeking to fill our Senior FX Developer/TD position. This role calls for someone who is a Houdini expert with strong Maya experience, and who can assist with the ongoing efforts to maximize the quality and efficiency of our FX Animation pipeline.
Please see below for the job description and application process:
Senior FX Developer/TD
The Senior FX Developer/TD works collaboratively in a high-end software and production team environment using dynamic and procedural systems to create natural phenomenon (smoke, fire, cloth, etc.) and other visual effects. This role partners with the Digital Effects Supervisor to help determine and design the FX needs for the studio as well as specific projects.
The below list describes the essential functions of this role, but other duties may be assigned, as necessary.
- Creates effects that reflect physical dynamics of natural phenomena and other visual effects to create a believable world for the story while working within a deadline-driven environment.
- Works closely with the Digital Effects Supervisor to identify inefficiencies in the FX pipeline, and assist with designing more efficient solutions.
- Collaborates with the Digital Effects Supervisor and others to determine the FX needs of the studio and/or a specific project.
- Develops techniques and tools to produce elements for rendering and compositing, and provides applicable support/assistance to artists during shot production.
- Works with Production and FX Department to execute the desired look of the effect, within applicable deadlines.
- Participates as a team member in determining various design and technical solutions.
- Works with developers and/or R&D on new tools, while providing feedback in a timely manner.
- Documents tools and techniques that are developed.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS:
- Experience with designing and implementing the following: dynamic systems, including destruction techniques; particle systems, rigid body dynamics, volume rendering, cloth, fluid dynamics and other advanced techniques for the creation of natural phenomenon and other visual effects.
- Strong application scripting skills, with solid programming skills in Python. Knowledge with one or more additional scripting languages required: C++, HScript, VEX, HDK, Maya API. Linux experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Houdini and Maya is required.
- Ability to approach work with critical thought, analytical skills and solution-based focus.
- Strong communication skills are required as well the ability to implement creative direction using the most efficient method(s) available.
- Four or more years of production experience with strong working knowledge of Houdini.
- Ability to work with minimal direction, and must be self-motivated.
- Experience in designing effects assets/systems.
- Background in Art and traditional animation strongly preferred.
- Renderman and Mantra experience preferred.
The person hired for this job must be legally eligible to work in the United States, without visa sponsorship.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to:
If your skills and abilities are a good match for this job opening, you will be contacted in the near future. We will make every attempt to contact all qualified candidates, but due to the high volume of interest on our job openings, we may not be able to contact every individual. We will not be returning phone calls or emails seeking further information about the opening or to confirm that we have received your resume.